1. Professor Smith and Professor Brown will _____ in giving the class lectures.
A. exchange B. alter
C. shift D. alternate
2. Pack the cake in a strong box, or it might get _____ in the post.
A. splashed B. spilt
C. crushed D. crashed
3. The thief _____ the papers all over the room while he was searching.
A. abandoned B. vanished
C. scattered D. deserted
4. Today, housework has been made much easier by electrical _____.
A. facilities B. appliances
C. instruments D. equipment
5. The _____ of the trees in the water was very clear.
A. mirror B. sight
C. reflection D. shadow
6. One _____ needed when making a cake is flour; another is sugar.
A. container B. ingredient
C. content D. equivalent
7. They have been waiting for many hours to see the singer, but the airplane must have been _____.
A. behind the times
B. behind schedule
C. ahead of time
D. in no time
8. Neither of them thought highly of him and they both tried to _____ him in his work.
A. hamper B. support
C. assist D. encourage
109. Her display of bad temper completely _____ the party.
A. harmed B. damaged
C. spoilt D. hurt
10. We forgave his bad temper because we knew that his son's illness had put him under great _____.
A. emotion B. excitement
C. crisis D. stress
11. The reference she made to her friend, the poet, was interesting but too _____ for anyone to appreciate.
A. drastic B. dull
C. obscure D. distinct
12. He _____ his engagement just before the wedding.
A. broke out B. broke away from
C. broke off D. broke up
13. When she heard from the hospital that her father had died, she _____ into tears.
A. burst B. went
C. exploded D. fell
14. Your help is _____ for the success of the project.
15. _____ the English examination I would have gone to the concert last Sunday.
A. In spite of B. But for
C. Because of D. As for
16. It was difficult to guess what her _____ to the news would be.
A. impression B. comment
C. reaction D. opinion
17. Our attitude toward our teachers should be _____, but not slavish or superstitious.
A. respectable B. respected
C. respective D. respectful
18. We could see that he was trying to _____ his own responsibility for the delay, instead of accepting his fault.
A. run over B. smooth over
C. pass off D. turn down
19. Glemp's heroic flight into space entitled him _____ a place in history.
A. for B. with
C. to D. of
20. He's _____ drink and never does a stroke of work.
A. gone to B. taken to
C. taken up D. gone for
[答案]B. taken to.
[注释]take to养成(某种习惯)。A stroke of一件。本题译文：他以成了酒徒，从来没有干过一件工作。
21. "Who is responsible for sending out misinformation?"
"Most of the fault lies _____ the administration."
A. in B. to C. on D. with
22. People who live in a small village are bound to see a good _____ of each other.
A. sum B. quantity C. deal D. amount
23. Maria _____ missed the first train so as to travel on the same one as John.
24. They always kept on good _____ with their next-door neighbors for the children's sake.
A. friendship B. relations
C. intentions D. terms
25. Do you think a wife should _____ her habits and tastes to those of her husband?
A. comply B. confirm
C. consent D. conform
26. He was afraid that the branch might bend over and break, and he would be sent _____ to the ground.
A. crashing B. throwing
C. rushing D. dropping
27. High interest rates _____ people from borrowing money.
A. discourage B. decrease
C. disturb D. disgust
28. Despite their good service, most inns are less costly than hotels of _____ standards.
A. equivalent B. uniform
C. alike D. likely
29. The two things are the same in outward form but different _____.
A. in addition B. in brief
C. in common D. in essence
30. _____ it is a good thing I did not get the post I had applied for, though I must admit that I was disappointed at the time.
A. By the way B. In a way
C. In the way D. In no way